Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I love my family, I love my friends! I love the PCP!

It's been a while.
A very long while, and a lot's happened in the meantime.
I feel like so much of my life was already in a state of flux- first, with the PCP, my body started to change bit by bit, my habits along with it. Then my grandfather's health has been something I've had to learn to accept and to experience on a day to day basis- one day up, one day down, and not knowing what the next day will bring.


Back in Kobe, it was actually lovely. The baggage with my mother was totally in my head- just a kind of defense mechanism, so that I wouldn't be too disappointed if things went awry, I suppose. She was so supportive of our PCP efforts. We arrived at the house, walked into the kitchen where large plates of steamed vegetables, steamed or baked fish, and rice was awaiting us. Nothing seasoned. For us, everything lightly steamed, and for the old guys, a little more steaming- easier on the teeth and digestion. Then different vinaigrettes and homemade condiments for those who wanted it. I felt bad anticipating a rough time with my mother!


The earthquake hit when we were on the train going to Kobe.
The French embassy having taken a very cautious stance in relation to some of the other embassies, my daughter and I left for Singapore, at the invitation of family friends. We haven't been home since before the quake.
We got stood up by Arnaud after we checked in. He joined us at the airport, had dinner with us, and then didn't get on the plane. There was the usual business to take care of, as well as supporting humanitarian efforts- a part of what his company does.
It's been quite stressful having our family split up, not knowing when or if Arnaud's joining us, and then having him come but not knowing when he's going back (he's just gone back last night) and then dealing w an almost 3 yr old who is old enough to know that something's up, but not old enough to express her feelings through verbal communication. Then there is the overwhelming, amazing, and extremely privileged process of being welcomed and invited over for lunch and for dinner, for coffee, etc etc etc.  
Right now, I think it's important to eat with my daughter and have some semblance of routine and togetherness. Normalcy, if there is such a thing. Not knowing anyone here, having been offered a place to stay (and food to share), I did not really feel comfortable refusing what was being offered, or asking for variations, exceptions, etc. In hindsight, I suppose if I were diabetic, or had religious dietary restrictions I would have mentioned them, so it kind of doesn't make sense, but in the moment, I just couldn't get my head around it.
Accepting invitations to eat together feels like a kind of lifeline right now- or at least a way to keep sane and connected to people in a new place. And offering that to my daughter is important.
So... at Patrick's very generous offer of restarting the program at another time, I've decided to do just that.
I will come back when I'm ready to take charge of my body again. I really want to. I will.
I will miss all of you, your support. I actually think now is the time I could use it most.
I don't know what he will do, but I told Arnaud that he should continue- the discipline and the exercise will keep him sane. There is a very meditative quality to the PCP that I love. It's not just a workout program. It's a way of life. I still crave veg in the morning, and do everything I can to keep it going. I love to write. It's about bringing the body, the mind, and our way of living together, by putting an intention in place and to start making a better environment and community, by starting with ourselves. By creating a sound body, and a sound mind. At least that's been my take on it.
It's not for nothing that Patrick is a yoga teacher!!!
So I thank you all for your support- everyone in this group, and all of you in the previous group who have commented on posts, checked in to see how I've been.
Hope to see you all again soon, online, or in a future workout at Patrick's, or a PCP "real-life" gathering!!!
THANKS ALL!!!!
AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
All the best to you all.
Keep safe, keep happy, keep taking care of yourselves- it's the best way to start taking care of others.
xxxAkiko


p.s.
by the way...
For people in my group....
10 more days to what in Kundalini Yoga, we say old habits are broken....
Yogi Bhajan says, 



40 Days:It takes 40 days to break a habit
90 Days:It takes 90 days to confirm the new habit
120 Days:The new habit is who you are
1,000 Days:You have mastered the new habit


6 comments:

  1. Wow akiki good to hear from you and know that you are safe! Take care I'm sure you'll have an awesome pcp once things settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautifully written. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been missing your blogs..

    Good luck and take care Aki...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you've been through.... I personally think that French embassy (and Germany) acted pretty bad, just scared their own people. I didn't want my family split at all, so I insisted that we'd stay together, and my husband had a mental crisis and we took a flight to CA. He just needed to be removed from the place where he has so much information that drove him crazy. He's better now, re confirmed he loves Japan, and we're all back in Tokyo. Anyhow, please take care of your girl (and husband!), which is very important for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Akiko, sorry to hear you weren't able to make it through the PCP this time around.. I am sure you will have better luck next time. The earthquake really was a devastating event. I almost left Japan myself. I think you made the right decision to leave, especially considering you have young children, and the situation at the nuclear plant is still unclear. Best of luck on the next iteration of the PCP. In the meantime, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look forward to working with you in the near future. Email when you're ready, we'll be here!

    ReplyDelete